20 February 2015

The Glam Guide - is it worth buying?

fleur de force glam guide fleur de force glam guide illustration
Throughout the past year or so, many YouTubers have come out with their own books and while most of them didn’t really appeal to me as they either just weren’t targeted at me or didn’t interest me, FleurDeForce's book was something that I new I would want to pick up from the beginning. Fleur seems to me as the kind of person that actually knows what she is talking about in her videos and she puts a lot of effort and love into her content. In her Vlogs she always talked about the stages her book is currently in, what chapter she is currently working on and how she structers her writing process.

One thing I initially loved about ’The Glam Guide’ is its appearance, the matte and glossy finish just looks so chic. As in most other books, it starts off with a brief introduction where Fleur explains how she got into making videos and what she wants to cover in this book.

The first chapter is about beauty and teaches you knowledge from brushes, over the colour wheel (which I found really interesting!) to the difference between toners, make up removers and cleansers; a mystery that has finally been solved for me! A little bit further back there is a chapter dedicated to YouTube and Blogging, where Fleur talks about her camera set up, something that I found really interesting as I didn’t know that most YouTubers actually use 3 softboxes to create the perfect set up.

Besides the content, I was just impressed with the stunning Illustrations by Sally Faye Cotterill. I have been obsessed with Illustrations lately and admire everyone who is able to make them, definitely something I want to learn at some point in my life!

Overall I am really pleased with this book and although areas like creating a smokey eye don’t really interest me a lot, I found the majority of the book very relevant and it tought me a lot! (Plus there’s some super cute pictures of Piglet in there!) I definitely think that this book is worth buying if you want to gain some general knowledge in the health/fashion/beauty/blogging areas! If you do want to purchase the book I advise you to buy it in ASDA as it’s about £7 cheaper than in Waterstones, I wish I had known that before I bought it :)

Conny x

3 comments:

  1. Randomly found your blog and can’t express how I like it! It was so interesting to read your posts and also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos! I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. FleurDeForce's book is the only YouTuber book I would consider buying because it's completely relevant to her channel, she wrote it herself and it actually looks genuinely helpful!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally have no interest in YTer books, but this is one I'd make an exception for. It sounds well-informed and looks lovely, I can imagine I'd really enjoy reading it! :)

    Milly // Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete