23 June 2015

Leave your mark - a mentorship by Aliza Licht

It was a hot day, I was tanning (or at least trying to), I had a bowl of fruit and everything seemed pretty much perfect, except one thing: I had no book to keep me entertained. Reading blogs in the sun  is, according to my experience, not an option unless I wanted to set up my own little sauna by putting a towel over my head so I could see the screen. And so it began, the hours long search for a good book on Amazon. Another romantic - dramatic novel that makes 5 minutes feel like an hour? Just the though of another fictional love story made me yawn and I was already tempted to give up on my mission until I stumbled across this one book with that gorgeous mint green cover. And when I saw that the book was about Fashion PR, I was sold. Immediately. 

'Leave your mark' by Aliza Licht, also known as the DKNY PR Girl, is a mentorship for everyone wanting to get an insight into the Fashion industry or even change their career. In 4 parts and 19 chapters, Aliza covers topics ranging from writing cover letters to dealing with peculiar co-workers and catches the reader with her honest, but extremely motivating voice. At times I nervously gulped imagining myself in scenarios she's been through like getting accused of trying to promote herself or having to sort through thousands of pairs of shoes within a few days. But I guess that's what you have to go through to get far in your career, and honestly, I weirdly can't wait to go through the same one day (fingers crossed). 

A few pages in, I already felt that Aliza was the perfect mentor and I knew that she would be able to teach me a lot. And she has. I have only just finished my first year of Uni studying Fashion PR, but this book has encouraged me to go above and beyond to land amazing internships and put 110% into every work I do. I had several aha! moments (Please tell me that I'm not the only one who didn't know about thank you e-mails after job interviews?!) which I will always refer back to. 

To me, Aliza Licht has become a very inspirational person (I'm SO sad that I wasn't in the country during her book signings!) and I will carry her career advice along the way and treasure it like an expensive handbag (that I hopefully will one day own). Leave your mark was that book I was sad about having to put at my bedside table at night, but excited to continue reading in the morning. And that kinda says a lot. 

If you are seeking valuable advice from someone who knows what she's talking about, I urge you to check out 'Leave your mark', you will not be disappointed. 

Conny xx

18 comments:

  1. This books sounds amazing! So insipirational and I really want to get into fashion pr someday - I am going to look the book up someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will give this a go, I love these kind of books. Have you read #Girlboss yet? I *think* it's a similar concept and the book as such is just so gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want this book now! Thanks for sharing.

    hannie from :: HUEMORIST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for good books to snatch up and read! Especially those about strong, inspirational women! I just finished Alexa Chung's It, but this sounds soo much better! I have to check it out now <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds great! I've been on the search for a good read (actually I just made a blog post about a book review.) So that's perfect timing! I'm actually not all that into fashion, do you think it could translate into other fields of design as well?

    Thanks!

    www.thethingislemons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I was just looking for this kind of a book!! I'm definitely going to check it out!

    http://www.bigfashiontalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really sounds like a great and helpfull book!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard about this book before but it seems pretty amazing. I want to read it!

    http://lamodaeanarchia.blogspot.sk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow sounds great

    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com
    Posts online about Tahiti, Vienna, Auckland...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh das hört sich nach einem tollen Buch an, das kommt direkt auf meine Amazon Wunschliste. =) Ich mag solche "Advice Books" ja immer sehr gerne ... aber nicht diese Gähnend-Langweilig-Fachchinesisch-Leerbücher, sondern solche, die unterhaltsam sind. Und einen Einblick in die (PR) Fashion Branche zu erhalten, ist für uns Mädels/Blogger ja meist super interessant. :-)

    GLG, Sabrina
    Happiness Is The Only Rule

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at a screen in the sunlight is an arduous task so a book sounds like the perfect idea. Leave Your Mark seems to be a great choice for the driven career girl. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  12. toller beitrag

    http://carrieslifestyle.wordpress.com
    Posts online about Dubai, Jesolo, Buenos Aires...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds amazing! And I love the cover as well!
    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a great read! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You spoke so much truth about forgetting to thank people for job interviews i literally have never thought about it oops!!
    Lizzy | by Lizzy x

    ReplyDelete